Sunday, October 6, 2024

Using NotebookLM to make my life easier as an Oracle DBA

I thought ChatGPT was good (yeah, it is), then yesterday I discovered NotebookLM which I think is even better.

NotebookLM is a Google experimental feature which is free, but you need a Google account (pretty much everyone).

Go here:  https://notebooklm.google.com/

And sign into Google if not already. You'll be shown a page like this



Click on 'New Notebook' and you'll get this



You can add sources - at the moment it only accepts certain formats, so I ended up converting what I needed to PDF and uploading them. 

When you upload a source, the magic starts. Depending on the size of the document, it pretty quickly gives you a summary, the document itself, and some starter questions. 

I uploaded a PDF of the Oracle ODA guide from here

https://docs.oracle.com/en/engineered-systems/oracle-database-appliance/19.6/cmtxn/index.html



You can also upload Google Docs, Youtube Videos or copy and paste text.

After a while, it generates this


You can then ask questions - "What are the steps involved in patching an Oracle Database Appliance using the Browser User Interface?"


So this is a great way to summarize large documents and to ask specific questions without having to try and find something specific by reading the entire document.

2 other uses I've found so far - take an AWR, convert it to PDF and then ask questions like "What are the performance bottlenecks?" and "What were the top 5 most CPU intensive SQLs?"






The next one is also pretty amazing - I extracted the audio from a Teams meeting to an MP3 file and uploaded it.

It creates a transcript, and you can ask questions. 



With all of these Notebooks you can create an audio file that is a podcast with 2 AI generated voices - it's incredible, though not suited to all Notebooks.


The last thing I tried was to upload a video from YouTube. You just provide it the link and it grabs it, creates a transcript and generates questions. This is a video on the 23c New SQL features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NyvswWLWQE





I've just scratched the surface of this, but I think it's better than ChatGPT in some areas. Let's hope Google maintain and improve it.